1. Download Metasploitable 2 via the link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/metasploitable/files/Metasploitable2/
2. Create a new VM in virtualbox with the type: Linux and Version: Ubuntu (64-bit). Though you can customise your own settings for the creation of the virtual machine the defaults will work fine.
3. Click into the settings of your new VM and navigate to the network menu. Make sure you do not use 'nat,' but rather a host only network adapter. This will ensure that metasploitable will only be accessible by you.
Note: If there is no host only network adapter then one can be created by going file>preferences>Network>host-only networks. Then click the plus symbol to create a new host only adapter.
4. In the settings of the VM now navigate to the storage menu. In the storage tree there may be a file in the 'Controller:SATA.' Remove the file and then click the 'add hard disk' icon. Browse and select the metasploitable.vmdk file downloaded from earlier.
5. Now simply start up the VM. The username is msfadmin and the password is msfadmin. Use the command 'ifconfig' to see what 'eth0' 'inet addr:' the vm will operate on.
6. When connecting to metasploitable via a kali VM you must ensure that as well as being connected to 'nat' in the network settings; you must also add a host only adapter. (The same one that metasploitable2 is using)
7. If you have any trouble jump on the discord or ask us for help in our Wednesday sessions.